The PUCN’s jurisdiction over natural gas service falls into three general categories.
- The PUCN regulates Nevada’s two investor-owned natural gas utilities, Southwest Gas and Sierra Pacific Power Company (d/b/a NV Energy). The PUCN's regulatory activities include:
- Ensuring the rates charged by gas utilities are just and reasonable.
- Evaluating each utility's annual informational reports to ensure the utility's resource planning is sufficient to fulfill its obligation to serve its customers.
- The PUCN licenses discretionary suppliers of natural gas, also known as alternative sellers of natural gas. These suppliers provide discretionary gas services to large industrial and commercial users in Nevada.
- The PUCN oversees gas pipelines in a pipeline safety partnership with the United States Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration Office of Pipeline Safety.
Check Your Regulatory Status
If you are a current natural gas company in Nevada and want to check
the status of your annual reports, assessments and payments, and other
regulatory obligations, click here.
New Natural Gas Companies
If you are considering forming a new natural gas company in Nevada, please contact the PUCN for information.